There can be over 100 fashion mistakes that women make. Because we all have our own opinions and ideas about how fashion should be expressed those mistakes can be glaring or just a slight faux pas that most would not notice. Here I’ll outline some of the most common mistakes that women make – do you recognize yourself in any of these?
1. Many women who carry a bit of extra weight think that wearing baggy clothing hides their body flaws – it doesn’t! In fact, you only look bigger and sloppy. And clothing that is too small only highlights your bulges. Look for clothing that is the right size for you. If you are having trouble figuring out what the right size really is then engage the help of the staff at a department store to evaluate what fits and what doesn’t.
2. Never walk out of the house in clothing that is wrinkled! That just rolled out of bed look isn’t in fashion – never has been and never will be. Even women who make their personal style fashion that is relaxed and comfortable (think Lauren Hutton) NEVER walk out in clothing that is wrinkled.
3. Underwear is called underwear for a reason. It is clothing worn UNDER clothing – not meant for others to see – either over the top of clothing or the lines through clothing. When your undergarments fit correctly they don’t bunch or bag. Try using a thong – they aren’t as uncomfortable as they may seem and panty lines disappear. However, don’t let the top of your underwear show over the top of your pants.
4. Some prints mix and match and others don’t. Some women can wear larger prints and others need a smaller print background. You must pick the print material that is best on your body type and size.
5. Consider the length of your skirts and shorts. While the current fashion trend may be Daisy Duke shorts or Fanny Fine mini-skirts they may not be the best cut or fit for your body type or leg length. Instead, incorporate the cut of the newest fashion with the length that looks best on your body. Wearing the most current fashion looks horrible when it doesn’t fit your body type or personal style.
6. Be careful about the color and style of shoes that you wear. The newest trend is stiletto heels – and while many women will tell you that the way they make your legs look are well worth the discomfort you feel – think twice! Heels have a way of completely throwing off the way that your foot interacts with the ground and your legs. And wearing stilettos enough will cause permanent changes to your foot – possibly leading to arthritis later in life. Reserve the heels for the occasional night time wear and use mid-height heels for during the day time hours.
7. Use your accessories judiciously. Many women with young children get out of the habit of wearing necklaces and earrings and when those little tykes grow older they go crazy with the amount of jewelry they incorporate into their daytime wear. Remember that less is always more when it comes to necklaces and earrings.
8. Believe it or not your make up is part of your fashion style. Too much makes you look like a clown and not enough gives you the just rolled out of bed look. You should strive to look natural – using make up to smooth out uneven skin tones, add color to your eye lids and cheeks and a bit of gloss to your lips.
9. Women have an advantage of being able to add a bit of sexiness to their clothing and fashion – a bit more leg, blouse opened one more button – but taking it too far gives people the impression that you are after one thing, and one thing only. Keep your mind, and theirs, where it should be – on the conversation, the corporate meeting or advice you are giving and out of the bedroom.
10. Tapered leg pants should be left to those women who don’t have hips. On anyone else tapered legs make the hips wider and sometimes the derrière as well!