As the child grows, his nutritional requirement also changes overtime to maintain their overall health. Though a more active children may have additional requirements in regard to nutrition although those needs are not going to be much more than an extension of a healthy diet plan which all children should be following. Specific nutrition for active kids will include maintaining a healthy diet, while being sure to get enough nutrients to help their growing bodies.
Some guidelines for parents with active children to follow include
- Eat like a king or queen early morning. In order to recharge the body’s cells from a fasting night sleep, it is vital to eat breakfast. From the word itself, break the fast because when one is asleep during the night, he will not be taking in anything for about 8 hours so it is crucial to eat early morning to refuel the body. The breakfast should ideally contain dairy, fruits, cereals and bread products to ensure a healthy start to their day.
- Snack in between meals. Energy levels must be maintained throughout the day especially for very active children. They should be snacking in the morning and afternoon to keep their nutrient levels up between meals. Good snacks include yogurt, milk, fruit and breakfast cereals.
- Pay close attention and focus on lunch and dinner. Be sure these meals include protein for growth and carbohydrates for energy. Some good sources of protein include poultry, seafood, eggs, lean meat and dairy products. Carbohydrate rich foods include fruit, cereals, legumes, bread and starchy vegetables such as potatoes.
- Be sure that they are getting daily helpings of dairy products. Bones are at their peak of growth during childhood and it is important to help this growth by providing sufficient source of Calcium needs. Calcium is crucial to the formation of healthy bones in growing children. They should be encouraged to eat at least three servings of dairy each day to keep their bone mass healthy.
- A lot water is important. The body is composed mainly of water hence the need to hydrate the body with water especially for children who are active. If the child is active in sports, sports drinks can be a good choice since they offer electrolytes to help replace fluids and are a good source of carbohydrates for energy.
- Always encourage healthy eating from all of the major food groups. A healthy diet is important for all children, but active children need to be monitored to ensure that they are taking the time to eat healthy, and refuel as needed. Be sure that the child is getting foods like breads and cereals, fruits, vegetables, milk and other dairy products, as well as eating good servings of meat, poultry, fish and other sources of protein to ensure that they are having an adequate intake of all the necessary nutrients for healthy development.
As children grow, their diet needs will change. Be sure that all kids are eating a balance die. Likewise, they must be educated on the significance of a healthy diet. Nutrition for active kids is not difficult, as long as healthy eating habits are followed, and adequate nutrient levels are maintained to ensure that their growing bodies are getting all of the important elements they need each day.